My photo
PO. Box 6, 130 Rt 10, Piermont, NH, 03779, United States
Monday - Thursday 3-7 pm, Sunday 1-3 pm (603) 272-4967 / Librarian@piermontlibrary.com *An equal opportunity employer"

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Piermont Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting
Minutes of January 8, 2019 (Draft)

Present: Trustees Helga Mueller, Joyce Tompkins, Nancy Sandell, Kristi Medill, Stephanie Gordon, Evie Conroy, and Librarian Margaret Ladd
The meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM by Helga Mueller.

A moment of silence was observed in memory of our beloved bookkeeper Jean Daley.

1.     Minutes of December 4, 2018 Trustee’s Meeting.  Approved (Motion: Nancy, 2ndEvie)
2. Bookkeeper’s Report: (Liz Bayne) Accepted (Motion: Joyce, 2ndNancy)
  • Liz Bayne has taken over the Library bookkeeping duties for now. She will see if her other obligations will allow her to keep the Library books on a permanent basis.
  • The Bookkeeper’s report for December was presented to the Board. The balance is healthy.
3. Treasurer’s Report.  Approved (Motion: Kristi, 2ndEvie)
  • Joyce gave the monthly treasurer’s report for December. The accounts are in good shape.
4.  Librarian’s Report
  • Margaret gave the Board circulation numbers for December. 
  • The LUV meeting this month is a week late, on January 28, due to MLK Day.
  • The printer repairman came because the computers were not communicating with the printers. The Board was informed of which computers print to which printers.
  • The iMac backup is full and is failing. New backup needs to be purchased.
  • $530 has been donated in memory of Jean Daley. Thank you notes have been sent to most of the donors by Margaret.
  • 317 people looked at the PPL Blog this month.
5. Policies and Procedures Update
  • Appendices were considered by the Board. The appendices are additional informational material, not anything that the Board needs to rewrite. Some forms have been updated or discarded. Some ALA documents, such as the Library Bill of Rights and the Freedom to Read Statement, are in the appendices. The hyperlinks will be provided to this kind of material in the appendices, rather than a hard copy of the ALA documents, as they change over time, except for the hard copy of the Policies and Procedures that will be kept in the Library. 
  • One print copy of the Policies and Procedures Manual will be kept in the Library. Trustees will have digital copies or a hard copy if they prefer. The Board approved including the appendices in the policy manual. Motion: Joyce, 2ndHelga.
  • Nancy, as the representative of the Policies Committee, says that the policy book is completely updated. Nancy did an incredible amount of work spearheading this project. (Thank you, Nancy, Helga and Joyce for your work on this committee). 
  • The mission statement is the only thing that still needs to be reviewed. The Board will consider how to approach the Mission Statement at a future meeting.
6. JanuarySundayHours:
January 13 - Kristi
January 20 - Helga
January 27 – Stephanie
February 3 – Joyce
7.  New Programs for 2019
  • Suggestions were made for new programs. A musical program is a possibility. Larry Coffin or Linda Bronson might be local people who could give a program. Joe Medlicott will see if Jere Daniell will talk about the founding of Dartmouth. Adair Mulligan has a new program on cellar holes but that will be offered by the Historical Society. A spring program on some aspect of gardening might be good. Peggy Fullerton has written a book about seed collection and gardening. She might be a possible presenter. Mary Holland doesn’t have a new program. Margaret has contacted the Extension Service but has not heard back.
8.  Art-in-Library
  • January and February: Helen Elder
  • March and April: David Wescott
  • May and June: Lesley Butman
  • July and August: Judith Lerner, possibly
  • Mel Gitchel “Portraits of Piermont” photos at some point
9. Old business 
  • Maintenance problems: Terry Robie has presented a design for a new handicapped accessible ramp. The approximate price would be $13,000. A copy of the plan has been given to the Selectmen. No action has been taken yet to replace the old ramp.
  • The Library building condition is unsatisfactory. Writing a petition article to use money from the Building Improvement Capital Reserve Fund was discussed but no action will  be taken.
10. New business
  • The Board plans to schedule a meeting with Quinn Colgan, Lawyer, at his office, concerning the Mattoon Funds. Stephanie, Helga and Joyce will meet with him. Joyce will schedule an appointment. The Board moved to pay for meeting with the lawyer for up to 2 hours. Motion: Nancy, 2nd  Evie 
  • A new board member will be needed to replace Evie Conroy, who is moving away from Piermont. The Board discussed people who might run in March for the Board of Trustees seat Evie is vacating.
  • Thank you to Evie Conroy for her service to the Board.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:14 PM. (Motion: Evie, 2ndKristi) 
Respectfully submitted,

Stephanie Gordon, Secretary, Library Board of Trustees

No comments: