Trustee Meeting Minutes (Draft)
Minutes of December 4, 2018 (Draft)
Present: Trustees Helga Mueller, Joyce Tompkins, Nancy Sandell, Kristi Medill, Stephanie Gordon, Evie Conroy, Polly Marvin and Librarian Margaret Ladd
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM by Helga Mueller.
1. Minutes of November 16, 2018 Trustee’s Meeting. Accepted (Motion: Joyce, 2ndKristi)
2. Bookkeeper’s Report (Jean Daley):
- Jean Daley has been unwell. She has paid the Library bills but will complete the November monthly bookkeeper’s report at a later date.
- The town draw was received.
3. Treasurer’s Report (Joyce): Approved: (Motion: Polly, 2ndEvie)
- Joyce gave the monthly treasurer’s report for November. The account is in good shape.
- There was a correction to the report for a disbursement made after the report was written.
- The annual school draw was received.
4. Finalize 2019 Library Budget
- The final 2019 Library Budget was approved as presented. (Motion: Nancy, 2ndJoyce). Joyce will send the 2019 Library Budget on to the Selectmen.
- There was a discussion of use of the Mattoon restricted library funds. The Board will consult a lawyer to see if it may be possible for the limitations of the Mattoon bequest to be reduced due to the changing needs of today’s libraries. (Motion: Joyce, 2ndPolly) Nancy will call a lawyer she knows to start inquiries.
5. Librarian’s Report
- Margaret gave the Board circulation numbers for November.
- InterLibrary Loan is still not working efficiently. State system is not up and running.
- Evergreen will be updated on Wednesday, December 12. Piermont Library has a year after that date to change over to all cloud-based use of Evergreen.
6. Policies and Procedures Update
- Appendices will be the next items for the board will consider. The policies committee says that the policy book is almost completely updated. The appendices are all that remain.
December 9 – Joyce December 16 – Stephanie December 23 – Jim
December 30 – Evie January 6 – Kristi
8. Programs for 2019
- Suggestions were made for new programs. A musical program is a possibility. Larry Coffin or Linda Bronson might be local people who could give a program. Joe Medlicott will see if Jere Daniell will talk about the founding of Dartmouth. Adair Mulligan has a new program on cellar holes. She has offered her services. Helga will see if we can offer this program in conjunction with the Historical Society. A spring program on some aspect of gardening might be good. Peggy Fullerton has written a book about seed collection and gardening. She might be a possible presenter.
- November and December: Stephanie Gordon
- January and February: Helen Elder
- March and April: David Wescott
- May and June: Lesley Butman
- July and August: Judith Lerner, possibly
- Mel Gitchel “Portraits of Piermont” photos at some point
10. Old business
- Maintenance problems: Terry Robie has presented a design for a new handicapped accessible ramp. The approximate price would be $13,000. A copy of the plan has been given to the Selectmen. No action has been taken yet to replace the old ramp.
- The Library building condition is unsatisfactory. Writing a petition article to use money from the Building Improvement Capital Reserve Fund was discussed but no action will be taken.
11. New business
- A motion was made to encumber leftover 2018 funds for use in 2019. (Motion: Joyce, 2ndEvie)
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 PM. (Motion: Evie, 2ndPolly)
Secretary, Library Board of Trustee