Minutes of October 2, 2018 (Draft)
Present: Trustees Helga Mueller, Joyce Tompkins, Nancy Sandell, Kristi Medill, Stephanie Gordon and Librarian Margaret Ladd
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM by Helga Mueller.
1. Minutes of September 4, 2018 Trustee’s Meeting. Accepted as corrected (Motion: Joyce, 2ndKristi)
2. Bookkeeper’s Report (Jean Daley): Approved: (Motion: Nancy, 2ndJoyce)
- The Board received the monthly bookkeeper’s report for September. The balance is currently good.
- The Town Draw was received in September for this quarter.
3. Treasurer’s Report (Joyce): Approved: (Motion: Nancy, 2ndKristi)
- Joyce gave the monthly treasurer’s report for September.
- Joyce and Kristi reported the results of their conference with Irina Biley CFP at Fidelity. They took the paper certificates from the Library safe deposit box with them to turn in and combine with another account. We now have just one Fidelity account. The Wells Fargo account has been closed and the Library received a check for the amount that had been in that account. The Board needs to decide how to reinvest the former Wells Fargo funds. The Fidelity representative suggested several funds that might suit the Library’s needs. The recommended funds are not volatile. The advisor recommended that we keep the Vanguard account but change it to a fund that will grow more quickly.
- Joyce will move the former Wells Fargo funds into the Fidelity Balanced Fund. (Motion: Stephanie, 2ndJoyce)
4. Librarian’s Report
- Circulation numbers were very good in September. Audio books are very popular.
- Art by Shawna Kimball is up. Shawna has cards for sale, which have been selling fast.
- Lights in the main room and the children’s room were replaced with LEDs by Eastman Electric. The new lights are bright and consistent.
- “Grand Resort Hotels of the White Mountains” with Bryant Tolles was held on September 13 at 7PM at the Old Church Building and was well-attended. This was a NH Humanities Program.
- The Town would like the Library Budget Proposal in a timely manner (which we always provide!). We need to think about scheduling our November meeting. The next library board meeting will be on the 13thof November because November 6 is Election Day. Creating the 2019 Proposed Budget will be the only item on the Agenda in November.
5. Policies and Procedures
- Appendices will be the next policies the board will consider.
October 7 - Kristi
October 14 - Joyce
October 21 – Nancy
October 28 – Kristi
November 4 – Stephanie
November 11 - Jim
*The next Piermont Library Trustees Meeting will be on November 13 and will be dedicated to developing the 2019 BUDGET.
7. Programs for 2019
- Suggestions were made for new programs. A program on gardening or heirloom seeds might be good for spring. Nancy will look into it. The Extension might have something to offer. A musical program is a possibility. Larry Coffin or Linda Bronson might be local people who could give a program. Joe Medlicott will see if Jere Daniell will talk about the founding of Dartmouth. Mary Holland was also suggested as a presenter.
- September and October: Shawna Kimball
- November and December: Stephanie Gordon
- January and February: Helen Elder
- March and April: David Wescott
- May and June: Lesley Butman
- July and August: Judith Lerner, possibly
10. Old business
- Maintenance problems: The lights have been replaced and the new ones are a big improvement! Terry Robie is still working on replacing the handicapped ramp. He will draw up plans to show to the Board.
11. New business
- Writing a petition asking for the improvement of the condition of library building and other town buildings was discussed. A warrant article could be written to use money from the town building maintenance fund to maintain the town buildings. The Board needs to have the petition written by January. Volunteer labor to fix up town buildings was also discussed. Perhaps Piermonters could volunteer to help scrape, paint, etc. the town buildings. Could the Friends Of Piermont be involved?
The meeting was adjourned at 8:29 PM. (Motion: Joyce, 2ndNancy)
Secretary, Library Board of Trustee